I made it over 4 miles before my tummy started acting up! I consider that HUGE progress since I normally “have to go” at just after a mile. Because I wasn’t sure if I was going to have any issues I opted for the treadmill. I ended up doing 4.46 miles in 45 minutes. I started at 5.5mph then after 2 miles I upped it to 6mph, and after another mile up to 6.5 until I stopped.
After that I headed into the kitchen for today’s recipe – Lime Tahini Quinoa Salad (an alteration of the Lemon Tahini Quinoa Salad from the Whole Plants Cookbook):
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp agave
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Heat the quinoa and 2 cups water to boiling, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes (until the water is absorbed and the quinoa looks fluffy)
- While the quinoa is cooking, saute the onion, jalapeno, and broccoli in sesame oil until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Combine the quinoa and the sauteed veggies in a mixing bowl. Add the tomatoes and mix it all together.
- In a small bowl combine the tahini. lime juice, hot water, soy sauce, agave, garlic and ginger, and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the tahini sauce over the quinoa mix and stir until well combined.
This is definitely a new favorite of mine! The combination of the tahini sauce with the sauteed veggies really give the quinoa an amazing flavor! Next time I might throw in some mushrooms too, and maybe even brussels sprouts. Either way, it’s yummy!
I got 6 servings out of this. Here’s the nutritional info:
I may not have any new recipes over the next few days as I’ll be eating leftovers from these last 2 experiments :)