Trust me, this tastes much better than it looks :)
Vegan Taco Bake
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 bunch (about 6) scallions, chopped (remove bulb, use both white and green parts)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 package Lightlife Smart Ground (Mexican-style)
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning (or 1 tsp cumin + 1 tsp coriander + 1 tsp chili powder)
- 1 (4oz) can chopped ripe olives
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup corn grits (Polenta), prepared (see below)
- Chopped cilantro to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375* Fahrenheit
- Spray a large frying pan with PAM (or whatever cooking spray) or a splash of veggie broth and put on high heat. Saute the onion, scallions, garlic, peppers, and garlic until they start to brown.
- Add the ground “beef,” taco seasoning, broth, and olives.
- Stir to combine, then reduce heat to low and let simmer while making the polenta:
- Bring 3 cups water (and a pinch of salt) to a boil. Once boiling, slowly pour in the corn grits, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and continuously stir/whisk for about 5 -10 minutes, until it thickens up.
- Add the polenta to the “beef” mixture and stir it all together.
- Pour into a (PAM/cooking spray- sprayed) 9×13 casserole dish, garnish with cilantro, and bake for about 30 minutes.
Note: I originally cut this into 8 servings but they seemed a little small, so after re-portioning I ended up with 7 servings. My suggestion is if you’re eating this as a meal by itself, to make 6 servings. If you are going to add stuff (salsa, guacamole, wrap/chips, salad, etc) or want smaller portions, go with 8. Either way, it’s pretty healthy and low-fat :)
Here’s the nutrition info (per serving) with 7 servings: 188 calories, 1.2g fat, 33.6g carbs (4g fiber, 2g sugar) and 12g protein.