That Pueblo Pie I made last night… it was DELICIOUS! I thought about waiting until tomorrow to post this, but since I tend to blog later in the evening Meatless Monday will be almost over. So here you go…
Pueblo Pie (Tex-Mex Lasagna) -adapted from a Dr. McDougall recipe
- 1.5 cup veggie broth (divided into two 3/4 cups)
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 heaping Tbsp minced garlic
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder (I used Hot Mexican)
- 12oz veggie crumbles (I used SmartGround Mexican style)
- 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 3 Tbsp Tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 12 corn tortillas, halved
- 15oz can (fat free) refried beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 and 1/4 cup chopped scallions (green onions). Reserve the 1/4 cup for topping after it’s finished.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring 3/4 cup veggie to a boil (use a large non-stick skillet) then add the onions and garlic. Saute until soft – about 5 minutes
- Add the crushed tomatoes, other 3/4 cup veggie broth, cumin, and chili powder. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium, then add the veggie crumbles. Again, stir to combine. Then reduce the heat to low and let simmer until you finish making the “cheese.”
- Make the “cheese” (which is basically just roasted red pepper hummus :)) by putting all the above “cheese” ingredients in a food processor/blender and blend until creamy. Next, we start the layering:
- Spread about 3/4 cup of the sauce into the bottom of the 9×13 baking dish.
- Layer 4 of the corn tortillas over the sauce (remember to half them – you’ll be using 8 pieces on this layer)
- Spread 1/3 of the “cheese” over the tortilla layer.
- Spread 1/2 the can of refried beans over the “cheese.”
- Then sprinkle 1/2 cup of the corn and 1/2 cup scallions.
- Top this with enough sauce to fully cover it all (about 1 cup IIRC)
- Another layer of tortillas (4 tortillas – 8 halves)
- Another layer (1/2 of what’s remaining) of “cheese”
- The other half of the refried beans
- The other half of the corn and scallions.
- Enough sauce to fully cover.
- The rest of the tortillas.
- The rest of the “cheese”
- The rest of the sauce.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Top with remaining 1/4 cup scallions before serving.
Makes 12 servings with the following nutritional info: Per serving 235 calories, 5g fat, 39g carbs (8.5g fiber, 3g sugar) and 11.5g protein
This was quite a bit of work but totally worth it!
Oh, and today’s run was a slow(ish) 10k on the treadmill while watching Doctor Who. Since the current episode wasn’t over when I was done running, I ended up doing another mile as a cool-down walk.