Tonight was my 2nd time making these burgers – they are sooooo good! I think the recipe I adapted it from came from animalplace.tumblr.com, but when I went there looking for it (to give credit) I can’t find it. But anyways, I altered it enough that it’s now my own recipe :)
BBQ Black bean and Quinoa burgers
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed (or buy the pre-rinsed like I do)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15oz) can of black beans – rinsed, drained, and mashed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup Panko (or other vegan breadcrumbs)
- Buns/bread of your choice
1. Place Quinoa in a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil then lower heat, cover, and simmer until Quinoa has absorbed water. About 15 minutes.
2. Fluff Quinoa with a fork, then transfer to a bowl and put in the fridge to cool. At least 30 minutes.
3. While Quinoa is cooling, place beans, BBQ sauce, onion, garlic, and liquid smoke into a food processor. Pulse until a paste is formed. If you do not have a food processor, place in a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
4. Mix Quinoa into the bean mixture.
5. Stir in Panko (bread crumbs), and place in refrigerator for about a half hour.
6. Remove mixture from refrigerator and form into 8 patties.
7. Cook in a non stick pan or on a grill until both sides are crispy. Or on a parchment-paper-covered cookie sheet,in a preheated 375 oven for about 12-15 minutes on each side.
8. Place in bun, and top with your favorite burger toppings.
Nutrition info (per burger, bun not included): 181.2 calories, 1.9g fat, 33.9g carbs, 7.5g protein
Vegan Potato Salad
- 3 pounds red potatoes- cooked, cooled and chopped/mashed
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream (Tofutti)
- 6 scallions, chopped (I use both white and green parts)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 large or 2 small jalapenos, diced
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 packet Onion soup mix (Lipton)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
Combine all ingredients and serve.
I got 6 servings out of this, with the following nutritional info:
Calories: 219, Fat: 2.2g, Carbs: 46.3g, Fiber: 5.1g, Protein: 5.7g
Tomorrow I have an 8-mile run scheduled, and then I’ll come back and post my weekly summary. Today was a rest day, so just a few walks with Lucy – about 4 miles total.