Monday Tuesday! My Mac -n- Cheese is adapted from this recipe by Isa Chandra. Had I known it was going to taste so good I would have taken pictures of the process, instead of just the final product. I admit I was skeptical, but Wow! It’s really, really yummy!
- 12oz pasta of your choice. I used Barilla Veggie Pasta – Elbows (hence the Veggie in the recipe name)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, then drained
- 1 bunch (approximately 6) scallions – both white and green parts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Chipotle chili powder
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (for garnish, optional)
- Saute the scallions and garlic (I used vegetable spray) for about 5 minutes, then put in food processor.
- Add the cashews, veggie broth/stock, cornstarch, cumin, chili powder, and nutritional yeast to the food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions. Drain, then leave pasta in colander but return pot to stove and pour the “cheese sauce” in it.
- Heat over medium-low, stirring constantly until it thickens (should only take a minute or so), then pour the pasta back in and mix it all together.
- Top with fresh cilantro (optional) before serving.
Makes 6 (heaping 1 cup) servings with the following nutritional info, per serving: