Monday Tuesday! My Mac -n- Cheese is adapted from this recipe by Isa Chandra. Had I known it was going to taste so good I would have taken pictures of the process, instead of just the final product. I admit I was skeptical, but Wow! It’s really, really yummy!
- 12oz pasta of your choice. I used Barilla Veggie Pasta – Elbows (hence the Veggie in the recipe name)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, then drained
- 1 bunch (approximately 6) scallions – both white and green parts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Chipotle chili powder
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (for garnish, optional)
- Saute the scallions and garlic (I used vegetable spray) for about 5 minutes, then put in food processor.
- Add the cashews, veggie broth/stock, cornstarch, cumin, chili powder, and nutritional yeast to the food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Cook the pasta as per package instructions. Drain, then leave pasta in colander but return pot to stove and pour the “cheese sauce” in it.
- Heat over medium-low, stirring constantly until it thickens (should only take a minute or so), then pour the pasta back in and mix it all together.
- Top with fresh cilantro (optional) before serving.
Makes 6 (heaping 1 cup) servings with the following nutritional info, per serving:
18 thoughts on “Meatless Monday (the Tuesday edition) – Vegan Veggie Mac -n- Cheese”
I just ate something similar to is in a restaurant but honestly yours looks better! Yay for vegetarian meals :)
Aww thanks! My picture-taking skills pretty much suck so I really appreciate that!
Not at all! I thought it looked great! I am pretty clueless on pic taking myself though, I don’t even have a proper camera right now so it is iPhone pics all the way for me haha :)
That’s what mine are – iPhone pics! Lol! Thanks again :)
Nice!! Thanks for sharing!! XOXO
Absolutely! It’s delicious!
Sometime when Greg is away, I’ll give this a try.
He wouldn’t try it? John even liked it and he’s a cheese snob ;)
Greg doesn’t like cheese. He will only eat it on pizza. We went to a vegan pizza place. They use the daiya cheese….we both had to pick it off. Ick!
Yeah, that stuff is nasty. I haven’t found a vegan cheese that I like, but I was never that big of a cheese person anyways.
I’m glad we’re not the only ones that hate it. If the nutritional yeast tastes like parmesan (like I’ve read), I wouldn’t like that either.
I don’t think it tastes at all like parmesan, thank goodness :)
This recipe was a bit hit with the omnivores at my house! In fact, my daughter was disappointed that I took the leftovers to work with me! LOL I loved that this one is so easy to make as well.
Yes, it was super easy! I soaked the cashews after I asked you about it, so by the time I made it, they blended right up with no problems :) Did you use the green chilies in yours? I was going to, but then discovered I didn’t have any – whoops!
Yes, I knew I’d be making this recipe on Monday, so I put the green chilies on my grocery list.
This looks amazing! I agree with you all, have yet to find the perfect vegan cheese. I *was* a huge cheese lover..sigh..and my standards are pretty high. The day they make a decent vegan Brie I’ll think I’ve died and gone to heaven. ;) My daughter got her hands on the new Field Roast cheese and said it’s amazing! No Whole Foods near me so I guess I won’t be trying it anytime soon.
The only vegan “cheese” I really like is the Tofutti Cream Cheese. I think it does taste exactly the same as regular cream cheese, which is actually the only kind of cheese I regularly ate :)
This looks great! I’ve been meaning to try that recipe, because I love pretty much everything Isa does. Thanks for the review!!