I’ve been spending quite a bit of time on Pinterest lately – gathering recipes to try out/tweak, and getting inspiration to create some new ones of my own. I keep seeing different versions of this “One-pot Pasta.” I’m not all that big of a fan of pasta dishes – for some reason pasta doesn’t leave me feeling full; it actually makes me crave sweets afterwards. Weird, huh? Anyways, I did want to make something with artichokes, so I figured I’d give it a go. Here’s my variation:
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 box (13.25oz) whole wheat Penne pasta
- 1 can (15oz) quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 cans (10oz each) diced tomatoes with green chilies (use the liquid too)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Spray a large soup pot with PAM (or whatever non-stick cooking spray you use) and saute the onions and garlic over medium-high heat until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add all the other ingredients, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and let cook (covered) for about 10-15 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Remove cover and cook for about another 10 minutes, until about all of the liquid is absorbed.
My husband is an Italian pasta-snob and he LOVED this! He immediately went back for seconds before I even sat down to taste it! I have to say, it really was good! I also went back for more! I drizzled a little of my Awesome Sauce (recipe coming soon!) on it, but honestly, it was just as good without it! The only thing I’ll do differently next time I make it (and I definitely will!), is add more veggies (mushrooms, olives, maybe spinach)!
I got 8 servings out of this, with the following nutritional information (per serving): 193.1 calories, .9g fat, 43.4g carbs (7g fiber, 3.3g sugar), 7g protein