I can’t believe it’s Cinco de Mayo and I’m NOT posting a Mexican-ish recipe, although I did throw some of my Tex-Mex flair into this ;)
This recipe was inspired by my friend Michelle, who blogs at TheVeganGypsy.com. Go check her out ASAP!
Spicy Vegan Sloppy Joe filling
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp (Hot Mexican) Chili Powder
- 1 can (15oz) Fire-roasted diced tomatoes w/garlic
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 12oz package of LightLife’s Smart Ground
- 8oz chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp (reduced sodium) soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- dash salt/pepper
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
- Place the onion, garlic, bell pepper, chili powder, tomatoes, Smart Ground, mushrooms, BBQ sauce, and veggie broth in a PAM-sprayed crock pot. Mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, chipotle chile, mustard, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over the ingredients in the crock pot. Stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours.
- Stir in the Liquid Smoke.
- Serve over bread of choice (not included in the nutrition info).
Makes 8 heaping 1-cup servings. Per serving= 122 calories, .5 grams of fat, 19 grams of carbs, and 10 grams of protein. 3 Points+
I served this with a side of chunked up summer and winter squash, sauteed in 2 tsp sesame oil with some garlic and ginger. Yum!
Oh and by the way, I ran 6 days last week!
- Monday: 3 miles
- Tuesday: 3.3 miles
- Wednesday: 4.04 miles
- Thursday: rest (did walk 2 miles w/Lucy)
- Friday: 3.02 miles
- Saturday: 2.28 miles (plus 4.5 miles walked w/Lucy)
- Sunday: 8.45 miles (plus 2 miles walked w/Lucy)
Have a great day!