I finally made it to the grocery store today! Besides some of my usual stuff, I picked up the ingredients needed to make (my own variations of) 3 of my favorite recipes from the Whole Plants Cookbook (definitely my FAVORITE cook book!).
The first one I’d like to share is this easy and delicious Aztec Salad.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 can (15oz) black beans – drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1 cup diced (fresh) tomato
- 12 oz frozen corn, thawed
- 1 lime (for juice)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 can (2.25 oz) sliced black olives
- 1 can (4.25 oz) diced green chilies
- 3 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- In a large salad bowl combine the onion, tomato, lime (cut into quarters then squeeze in the juice), cilantro, jalapeno, corn, olives, and green chilies.
- Add in the beans and rice. Stir to combine it all together
- In a small bowl combine the vinegars, lime juice, garlic and cumin.
- Pour the vinegar mixture into the bean mixture and stir it all together.
I get 7 servings out of this, with the following nutritional information (I put all my recipes into the SparkPeople Recipe builder):
If I’m eating this as a meal, I’ll have a double serving, and I like to top it with guacamole (Wholly Guacamole snack packs are something I absolutely cannot live without!).