My newest food obsession is (Old El Paso) Refried Black Beans. Mix ’em up with some quinoa, throw in a bit of SW flair, and Yum!
This picture really doesn’t do it much justice, but oh wow did it come out good! I, of course, added fresh salsa and guacamole to the finished recipe.
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp cumin
- PAM spray
- 1 cup quinoa (I used red, pre-rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15oz) Old El Paso refried Black Beans
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup jarred salsa (I used SW style)
- Spray a frying pan with PAM and toast the quinoa for a few minutes. It releases the nuttiness.
- Add the quinoa and 2 cups water to a small pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for about 15 minutes – until the water is all absorbed.
- Meanwhile, add a little more PAM to the pan, and saute the onion, garlic, and jalapeno to your desired consistency. Turn off the heat, then add the beans, salsa, cumin, and half of the lime juice. Mix well and let sit until the quinoa is done.
- When the quinoa is done, add it to the bean mixture along with the other half of the lime juice, and mix it all together.
I portioned it into 6 servings, which per serving equals: 223 calories, 3.7 grams of fat, 38.3 carbs (6.2 fiber and .8 sugar), and 8.8 grams of protein.
Use it as taco/burrito filling, or just eat it as is. I top it with some of my fresh salsa and a 100-calorie Wholly Guacamole packet. Everything tastes better with guacamole :)