Happy Meatless Monday! A huge shout-out to the Vegan Gypsy for bringing my attention to this recipe by the amazing Isa Chandra Moskowitz. After a few minor alterations/modifications the result was sinful deliciousness!
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4c (turbinado) sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preaheat oven to 350, set water to boil, foil-line an 8” loaf pan
- Combine applesauce, oil and cocoa in a large mixing bowl
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in medium mixing bowl
- Add 1/3c boiling water to cocoa mixture and whisk quickly into a sauce, then add pumpkin, sugars and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add half the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture along with 1 Tbsp boiling water and mix. Then repeat with the other ½ flour mixture and other Tbsp boiling water
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Spoon batter into loaf pan (it will be thick)
- Bake for about 55 minutes (until toothpick comes out mostly clean) then let cool for 10 minutes.
- Try not to eat it all at once!
On the running side, things haven’t been going so well. I seem to be in a funk. I only ran once last week, and while I had all intentions of hitting the treadmill today I somehow twisted my back this morning while I was out with Lucy, and now I can hardly even stand up straight. Hopefully I’ll be back on track tomorrow!